The earliest names of Huizhou University in 1921 ¡°Guangzhou Municipal Normal School¡±. At that time it was a part of the Guangzhou Yue Xiu Academy of Classical Learning. In 1945, the campus was moved to the
Huiyang Fenghu Academy of Learning and after several years' development, the name was renamed the
¡°Guangdong Provincial Huizhou Normal School¡±.
The university underwent several name changes over the years. In 1949 it became ¡°Guangdong Huizhou
Normal School¡±. Ten years later the school was renamed ¡°Huiyang Normal School¡±. In the year 1970, it
was given the name ¡°Huiyang Prefecture Normal School¡±. After gaining approval from the State Council,
the school was formally called ¡°Huiyang Teachers College¡± in Dec, 1978. This designation signaled the
launching of higher education in Huizhou.
In June 1986, Huiyang Teachers College incorporated the Huizhou Education Faculty in order to provide
tertiary education in Huizhou municipality. In April, 1989, it also formed an educational alliance with the
Northwestern Textile Polytechnic University. The two schools later merged.
Huizhou University was officially founded in Sept. 1993 with the approval of the People¡¯s Government of
Guangdong Province. It officially became a comprehensive university offering undergraduate degree programs in March, 2000, under the authority of the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Source: HZU Website Foreign Affairs Office HZU